The Township of Humberstone was bordered by Lake Erie to the south; the Township of Crowland to the north, to the east the Township of Bertie and on the west by the Township of Wainfleet.
The township was settled as early as 1785 and some of the original settlers were Daniel Knisley, John Near, Michael Sherk, George Zavitz and John Steele. By 1817 the township had grown considerably. Land could be purchased for $2.50 an acre and there was now a saw mill, a grist mill and seventy five families living within Humberstone Township.
Port Colborne, would become one of the largest communities in the township, partly due to the fact that the village would become the southern terminus for the Welland Ship Canal.
Another community began to develop in the south west corner of the township. Petersburgh, also referred to as Humberstone or Stonebridge was located about one mile north of the port at Port Colborne. This village of about 700 inhabitants was an important station along the Welland Railway.
The township also saw a lot of summer traffic, many times artists would spend the summer along the shores of Lake Erie painting the lovely scenery that made up Humberstone Township. The Talbot Trail, one of Upper Canada's earliest roads into the interior of what is now Ontario passed through Humberstone Township.
Upon entering the township the road veered to the south along the lakeshore. Here, well kept family farms rose up from the sandy beach lakeshore providing travelers magnificent scenery and a cool breeze on a hot day.
It is little wonder that Humberstone Township would become a favourite summer tourist destination among Canadians and Americans alike.