The Township of Louth was settled as early as 1777 by United Empire Loyalists fleeing from the American Army. The Twenty Mile Creek flows through Louth Township and here, along the banks of the Twenty game was plentiful and the location far enough inland to prevent possible retaliation from the Americans.
The original settlers, several brothers by the name of Secord had been scouts for Butler's Rangers and had taken part in the Cherry Valley Massacre in New York State. The brothers were wanted men by the Americans, as well as Walter Butler, the son of John Butler, who had also participated in the massacre.
The Secord brothers were granted land by the Crown and constructed one of the first log cabins in the township. By 1791 many more Loyalist families from New Jersey had begun to arrive in the area. The names of some of these earliest settlers were Beamer, Fry, Bradt, Futney, Patterson, Smith, Price, Vollick, Pawling, Haines, Burtch, Bebee, Cole, Hare, Clendenning, Tenbroek and Walker.
Around 1795 two Mennonites visited Louth Township with the intention of moving their families there. Abram Moyer and Amos Albright travelled from Bucks County in Pennsylvania to survey the township and liked what they saw. They were so impressed with the fertile fields of Louth that they purchased land from the Loyalists for about $2.00 per acre.
Some of the earliest settlers to Louth Township were Philip Beamer Sr., Levi Beamer, Henry Beamer, Jesse Jones, Archibald Flack, Cornelius Ryckman, Henry Smith and Andrew Brandt.
The first township meeting was held in March, 1793. At that time Adam Bebee was elected Clerk; Peter Wycoof and Adam Bebee, assessors; Ebenezer Culver, Tax Collector; Jesse Pawling, Peter Wycoof, Ede Burch, Roadmasters and Henry Beamer and Benjamin Fralick were Town Wardens.