The Richardson-Kiely House
Heading north on Queen Street and directly adjacent to the oldest operating golf course in Canada sits the Richardson-Kiely House at 209 Queen Street. This majestic Georgian style mansion was built in 1832 by Charles Richardson, a barrister and Member of Parliament for Upper Canada in 1834 - 1841as a conservative for the riding of Niagara. The large sweeping verandahs that encompass the house were added later, around 1900, as well as servants quarters on the east side. Today the house has been totally refurbished and is known as The Charles Inn.
Charles Richardson was born in 1809 and died at the age of 43. he was a prominent figure in the town of Niagara having married Elizabeth Clench, the daughter of Ralfe Clench, another prominent Niagara citizen. Not only did Mr. Richardson serve as a Member of Parliament but he was also a luietenant in the militia before studying law.