The Floral Clock
The Floral Clock was built by Ontario Hydro in 1950. The overall diameter of the clock is 12.5 metres or 40 feet. The stainless steel minute hand is 5.3 metres in length or 17.5 feet. The hour hand is 4.4 metres or 14.5 feet and the second hand is 6.4 metres or 21 feet. The tower at the back of the clock is 7.4 metres or 24 feet in height and houses the clock mechanism. The louvers at the front of the tower house the Westminster chimes which are activated every 15 minutes.
The building of the Floral Clock in Niagara Falls, Ontario was initiated by the chairman of Ontario Hydro, who had seen a similar one on a business trip to Edinburgh, Scotland. The Edinburgh clock was only 1/4 the size of the Niagara Falls Floral Clock.
Originally the numbers of the clock spelled out Ontario Hydro. Today the Floral Clock is maintained by the Niagara Parks and the letters on the clock have been changed from Ontario Hydro to Niagara Parks.
The Niagara Falls Floral Clock is located west of the Sir Adam Beck Generating Station along the Niagara Parkway north of Niagara Falls, Ontario and south of the village of Queenston.
Located next to the Floral Clock is the Centennial Lilac Garden. Here there is ample free parking and washroom facilities. The Centennial Lilac Garden is also a favourite picnic location.