Butler's Burying Ground
View Larger Map
Tucked away in Niagara-on-the-Lake, at the end of a shady residential street lies a cemetery that is the last resting place of one of early Niagara’s most prominent citizens. Plaques located in the cemetary bear these inscriptions:
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL JOHN BUTLER 1725-1796
Born in New London, Connecticut, Butler settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, in 1742. Commissioned in the British Indian Department in 1755, he served in the Seven Years War. At the outbreak of the American Revolution , he was compelled to leave his estates and was ordered to Fort Niagara. In 1777 he organized the Loyalist Corps known as Butler's Rangers. By the end of war, this Unit with British Regulars and Indian Allies, had effectively contributed to the establishment of British control south of the Great Lakes. The Rangers were disbanded in 1784, and led by their former commander, many settled in the Niagara Peninsula. Butler remained active in Indian Affairs until his death at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake). Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
ACTION AT BUTLER'S FARM
On the 8th of July, 1813, an outpost of the invading force, encamped near Fort George, was defeated by a band of Six Nations and Western Indians led by Chiefs John Norton and Blackbird and interpreters Michel Brisebois, Louis Langlade and Barnet Lyons. Lieutenant Samuel Eldridge and 22 soldiers of the 13th United States Infantry were killed and 12 taken prisoners. Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada