Queen Victoria Park
On March 20th 1885, Oliver Mowat, the Premier of Ontario introduced the "Niagara Falls Park Act - an Act for the Preservation of the Natural Scenery about Niagara Falls". Lord Dufferin, the Canadian Governor General also supported a public park at Niagara Falls.
Queen Victoria Park was officially opened on Victoria Day - May 24th 1888. The park originally encompassed 155 acres from the base of Clifton Hill to Dufferin Islands. The Niagara Parks Greenhouse was built to supply the hundreds of bulbs and bedding plants needed.
Admission to the park was free but the newly formed Niagara Parks Commssion sold leases to vendors who wished to set up shop in the near vicinity. The Niagara Parks Commission was set up exclusively to manage Queen Victoria Park, and was later able to acquire even more land along the Niagara Parkway.
Subsequently such attractions as Brock's Monument and Navy Hall and Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake, as well as many others are all managed by the Niagara Parks Commission.
Today Niagara Parks consists of almost 3,000 acres stretching 35 miles (56km). The Niagara Parkway and the Niagara Parkway Recreational Trail enable visitors to view this beautiful park.
Admsission to the park is still free.
Queen Victoria Park is also the Home of The Winter Festival of Lights. As well as visiting in the summer months remember that Queen Victoria Park is just as lovely in the wintertime.