Port Weller, Ontario
Port Weller, Ontario is a tiny community on the shore of Lake Ontario that is now a part of the city of St. Catharines. Port Weller was named after John Weller, an engineer on the first Welland Canal.
The Welland Canal bisects the community in half. Port Weller East is used to describe the community on the east side of the Welland Canal while Port Weller West is used to describe the community on the west side of the Welland Canal.
The community of Port Weller extends from Lake Ontario to Read Road to Linwell Road to Walkers Creek. The Port Weller Dry Docks is located in Port Weller as well as Happy Rolph’s Bird Sanctuary and Malcolmson Park.
Originally the area was settled by United Empire Loyalists and the village was called the Lower Ten, while the village of Homer (now extinct) was referred to as the Upper Ten. The name "Ten" referred to it's location along the Ten Mile Creek.
The tiny settlement boasted a log cabin store owned by Mike Brady and a blacksmiths shop run by Jerry Stocking. In 1880 the area at the mouth of the Ten Mile Creek was owned by Charlotte Jones. For many years this lovely beach in Port Weller was called Jones Beach and was a favourite picnic spot for locals up until the early 1970's when the land was sold for the present development of townhomes called Newport Quay.
In 1946 a dry dock was built where work could be carried out on the ships that travelled the Great Lakes. The shipyard, known as Port Weller Dry Docks operated until 2013..
There is still public access to the waterfront however the area is no longer a popular beachfront destination.