The Old Jail and Court House
The very first Jail (Gaol) and Court House stood on the corner of Prideaux and King Street. Built in 1795 it was burned by the enemy in 1813. The town, realizing the vulnerability of a public building within easy range of the canons at Fort Niagara decided to build the new Jail and Court House much further west on King Street.
Now, although the building has long since been demolished the location seems far removed from the hub of the city centre. It should be noted however, that Butler's Barracks was located only a short distance away.