Woodend Conservation Area
View Larger Map
At the top of the escarpment in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake is Woodend Conservation Area.
In 1780, a United Empire Loyalist by the name of Peter Lampman was granted 1600 acres of land in Niagara approximately 10 kms southwest of Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) on the brow of the Niagara Escarpment. He built a homestead here and for several generations the family farmed the land.
In 1931 a house was built on the tip of the eastern side of the property. Today the house and 150 acres make up Woodend Conservation Area.
The house is presently being used as an outdoor education centre. The Woodend Environmental Centre allows area students an opportunity to learn about native plants and animals in a natural outdoor setting.