Campden is a tiny farming community located on the brink of the Niagara Escarpment. Originally the area was settled by United Empire Loyalists, many of whom were Mennonites. A small grave yard located 2 km (1 mi) east of Campden at the first intersection on the Fly Rd. marks the location of the Mountain Mennonite Church also known as the Campden Mennonite Church. The church began in 1840 and held services there until 1909. It was demolished several years later.
The original settlement was called Moyer's Corners, which would later become known as Campden. Seven of Jacob Moyer's sons purchased land in the area and built farms and it seemed that for miles around all the property was owned by Moyers. In 1850 a post office opened there as well as a tailor shop operated by Jacob Albright. Campden never prospered as an industrial centre, owing to the fact that it was far removed from major transportation routes.