St. Catharines, Ontario
The City of St. Catharines was named in honour Catharine Hamilton, wife of Robert Hamilton upon her death in 1796. Prior to this the community “On the Twelve” was also referred to as Shipman’s Corners.
To the north of the city is Lake Ontario with several sandy beaches as well as the community of Port Dalhousie. To the south lies the Niagara Escarpment and the City of Thorold.
Merritton, an old industrial town as well as Port Dalhousie have become part of the City of St. Catharines. The Welland Canal forms the city’s eastern boundary, with Niagara-on-the-Lake to the east. By the turn of the 20th century the city had become known as the Garden City.
This was due to the many fine vineyards and orchards that lined the streets stretching out from the city core towards the lake. In 1914, with the building of the Burgoyne Bridge, the southern and western parts of the city developed.